Monday, June 13, 2011

Blog Post 5

Image of Podcast on iPhone 4

As the time draws near for me to attempt my first podcast, I am thankful that I had a few websites to view about this subject. Before looking at these, I thought that a podcast was like watching a television show on your iPod. I was close. According to Judy Scharf’s Podcast Collection, a podcast is a cross between “broadcast” and “iPod”. In looking at her site, I was able to gain a better understanding of this. She made it clear that a podcast is like a radio broadcast. It can be listened to on a computer, as well as an MP3 player, downloaded to iTunes or another podcast hosting service. Podcasts seem easy to do and cost very little to nothing.
Her site was very informative in that it gave you a guideline that you could use in your classroom to incorporate this tool. She also provided lesson ideas and a few links to check out to learn more about podcasting.

When I visited Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog, I was quite impressed. By seeing and hearing the podcasts created by 3rd graders, it solidified that students, no matter what their age, can benefit from, and are quite capable of putting together, a podcast. This is a great tool to introduce to our students at an early age. I can see that by giving the students an opportunity to participate in something like this early, helps them to build confidence in their work.
They are given the task of putting together a radio broadcast on a subject that is being taught to them in class. They really did a great job. I thought that by the children being allowed to do this, they were able to tap into their creative side. Creativity is something that is important to children and allowing them to express themselves in this manner will only benefit them. Podcasting was used as a group activity in this classroom. It not only allows them to be creative, but it brings self-awareness in their oral reading. This could help them in the future when they are presenting in front of a class or giving a speech. I find podcasting a great tool to engage our students.

Millennials Man Cartoon

In watching the video, The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom, Doug Saunders said, “Podcasting focuses on the higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy and allows for creativity and innovation.” It allows them to demonstrate higher order thinking skills. Doug Saunders referred to children born after 1980 as Millinneals. I have never heard of this. Too bad I can’t be considered a Millennial. Anyways, Saunders went on to state that podcasts can be used as a review tool. They can be downloaded and accessed 24/7. This is particularly beneficial for students that have been out sick and do not want to fall behind in their school work. He gave an example of this with a girl named Emily.
It is sad to say that I have never been informed of a podcast lesson from any of my children’s teachers. I would find this helpful if my child was struggling with a certain concept. I would be able to listen to the lesson and then help my child. I plan on using this as a tool when I have my own classroom. I hope that by doing these projects in EDM310, I will gain the knowledge that I need to make this effective in my classroom. It is obvious that technology is increasing and being able to allow my students access to download an auditory lesson, 24/7, will give them no excuse to fall behind. Parents will also be able to stay on top of what their child is learning.

2 comments:

  1. I also reviewed the Eagle's Nest Radio and the Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom! I was so impressed at how well the kids from the Eagle's Nest Radio did on the podcasts! I think it is such a great tool to become familiar with. I believe that anytime we get children so actively engaged in a lesson, they will always take something away from it! I also think it's a great idea to use podcasting in the instace that children are out sick. I have always planned on creating a blog for my future classroom so that children can access missed work or lessons, and I think that podcasting would be a great addition to it! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorough, thoughtful, well written. It is obvious this was a good learning experience for you. Maybe your children's teachers have never heard of a podcast. it would not surprise me! I am looking forward to your podcast. I am certain you will make use of what you have learned from these exercises in your podcast.

    Keep up the fine work you are doing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete